Pages

We've Moved!

We've Moved!
Follow our Rustic Blog on our Rustic Website!

Friday, April 6, 2012

Jersey Love

North Country Rustic's First Internet Order!!! These doors were so much fun…and yet so infuriating! I call it the “Mutiny of the Machines”! As you all know, I start with using the computer to generate a “template”. I use these templates to fine tune the design until the customer is happy with the plan. Then I draw onto the wood and cut out the design using a jigsaw. It’s usually quite fun…until your jigsaw fails to do it’s job…I actually had two jigsaws “give up the ghost” during these doors. What normally takes hours took days to hand cut. Ugh! But eventually I was able to get to the carving. The carving is the best part of the project for me. I like to try new techniques everytime to see if I can add something unexpected. It’s just so much fun! After an easy and fun couple of days carving all that was left was the finishing. This is when my stain sprayer decided to join the Jigsaws in the Mutiny! Normally staining is a very fast part of my process…not when I’m hand staining all the “nooks & crannies”! It took forever. Then I had to do it all 3 more times with Poly! Waiting a full day or more between coats because of the humidity. But in the end, it was all well worth it! I love both doors but...I have to say "Jersey" holds a special place in my heart. Who knew I'd have so much fun with a cow? LOL
 

No comments:

Post a Comment